The D Code 289 Mustang engine with the Autolite 4 bbl carburetor is a rare engine. It was only offered as an option in 1964 1/2 Mustangs dated March – September of 1964. Some of the characteristics setting this rare engine apart from other early V8’s include:
- The air cleaner decal was black, white and red in color (rather than black and orange). It read “289 cubic inch 4-V premium fuel”.
- The timing chain cover had three variations: 1. an oil filler neck; 2. a hole for an oil filler neck with a plug in it; 3. no oil filler neck or oil filler hole.
- All D Code engines used an aluminum water pump.
- D Code 289’s used an Autolite 4100 4V 1.08 Venturi carburetor.
- D Code 289’s had 5 bolt holes for attaching the bell housing (later engines had 6 bolts).
- Early D Codes utilized a generator and later D Codes utilized an alternator.